Our communication skills and style are essential to positive and productive relations. Effective communication requires us to be clear about our own thoughts and desires, and also to be responsive to those of others. Assertive communicators express ideas and feelings in transparent, open, and direct ways – stating their needs clearly and without defensiveness. In this training, participants will build an awareness of their communication patterns and learn to deal confidently with people around them. This workshop is fun, meaningful, and highly effective for improving communication awareness and skills.
Price: $99.00 CAD
Credit Hours (CEU)
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- What’s Required for Effective Communication
- Assertiveness Self-Assessment
- Characteristics of Aggressive and Passive Communicators
- Assertive Communicator Characteristics
- Assertive Body Language
- Guidelines for Offering an Opinion
- Strategies for Giving Directions
- How to Say “No” Assertively
- Skills for Making Requests
- Giving Corrective Feedback
- Dealing with Difficult Responses
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- To define assertive communication.
- To practice giving an assertive opinion.
- To discuss personal boundaries and practice saying “no” when appropriate.
- To outline the steps for giving corrective feedback in the form of a DESO script.
- To identify options of response receiving negative feedback.
About this Workshop
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Jessica is a communications professional who has provided leadership in her field for over a decade with a focus on project management and content creation. She has a Bachelor’s degree in Rhetoric and Communications and a Master’s degree in Media Studies. Jessica leads workshops on leadership, communication skills, content creation, and conflict resolution, and has taught a university-level writing course for over 10 years. In addition to her work as a workshop facilitator, she runs a communications consultancy firm where she provides facilitation, editorial, and strategic communication services to a wide variety of clients. In all of her work, Jessica believes in developing and maintaining respectful and trusting relationships with an awareness of and sensitivity to cultural differences, working styles, and desired outcomes. She is a dynamic and engaging presenter who is enthusiastic about understanding people’s communication styles and approaches in order to help them improve their ability to effectively and respectfully communicate with those around them.
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop.