Leading in a unionized workplace presents a number of unique challenges for a supervisor. Having a clear understanding of the obligations and opportunities of this environment will increase a leader’s likelihood of success. This workshop will provide those who supervise in a unionized environment with an understanding of the rights and obligations of the employer, as well as the role and influence of unions. Participants will learn to utilize the provisions of their collective agreements in order to manage their workforce cooperatively and productively.
Price: $99.00 CAD
Continuing Education Credit Hours (CEU) 3
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- Employer Rights and Obligations
- Union Rights and Obligations
- Understanding Major Provisions of the Collective Agreement
- Role of the Labour Relations Board
- Roles of the Shop Steward and the Union’s Representative
- Motivating Employees in a Union Environment
- Progressive Discipline Principles and Processes
- Grievance and Dispute Resolution
- Working Cooperatively with the Union
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Describe employer rights and obligations
- Identify the rights and obligations of a union
- List and understand the common clauses present in most collective agreements
- Provide relevant and effective feedback to motive employee performance
- Review the role of progressive discipline and its role in correcting misconduct
About this Workshop
ABOUT THE TRAINER
For over 30 years, Mark Schinkel has served in public education as a Teacher, School Administrator, Executive Superintendent of Human Resource Services, and Senior Superintendent of Student Achievement and Well-Being with the Waterloo Region District School Board. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Management, as well as Bachelor of Education and Master of Religion degrees. Mark’s commitment to organizational excellence, building highly effective teams, and leadership development provides a wealth of practical experience in creating the conditions that allow employees to flourish in a safe, inclusive, healthy, purposeful, and productive work environment. He believes that effective leaders leverage and nurture the natural relationship between productivity, organizational goals, healthy work environments, and individual well-being. As an experienced and considerate facilitator, Mark places a high value on creating an engaging, practical, and fun learning experience that is focused on identified participant learning goals and outcomes.
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop.